Pacific Smiles Dental is committed to caring for children’s smiles and their overall dental health. We know how important a great smile is for a child’s confidence and we are passionate about educating children from an early age about the advantages of looking after their teeth and gums.
Dental care for Children: Hints and Tips For Healthy Teeth
- Healthy Eating – Cavity causing foods are those with a high sugar content. To reduce the risk of tooth decay it is important to reduce the total intake of sugary foods and the number of times sugars are eaten throughout the day.
- Healthy Drinking – Children should drink plenty of plain tap water and limit the consumption of soft drinks, sports drinks, cordials and fruit juices, which generally have a high sugar content.
- Brush Twice a Day – It is important for kids to clean their teeth at least twice a day with a gentle but thorough brushing action using a soft brush with a small head and fluoride toothpaste. Correct regular brushing will reduce plaque build-up and tooth decay and help maintain healthy gums and teeth. Up to age eight, kids will need assistance to brush correctly, as most children lack the manual dexterity to brush correctly before eight years of age.
- Floss Daily – Children should floss between their teeth every day to remove food and plaque from the spaces between teeth where their toothbrush may not be able to reach and clean. Supervision and assistance from an adult is highly recommended to ensure that kids adopt a daily flossing routine.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly – It is recommended that from age three, children visit the dentist every six months for a thorough check-up. Regular check-ups from an early age reinforce good dental care and assist in reducing the need for fillings in the future.
- Wear a Mouth Guard For Sport – It is important to play safe in all sports by protecting children’s teeth with a custom-made, professionally fitted mouth guard. Mouth guards are available in a range of colours, even team colours, and should always be worn when training and playing sport to minimise the risk of dental injury.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule
Eligible children can claim $1052 in free dental* services through the Australian Government’s Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS).
The CDBS covers a range of services including examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canals and extractions.
Click here for more information and full T&Cs.
* Treatment is free when services covered by the Commonwealth Government’s Child Dental Benefits Schedule are bulk billed by participating Practitioners for treatments provided to eligible patients.